Thursday, October 30, 2008

Day 30 of 31 for 21 - Am I the only adult?

I swear sometime I think I am the only adult in this house! Every night we turn the tv off at 8:30 so the kids have to read for their 30 mins which is part of their homework. For the past week I have been making the tv go off at 8 because Allyson cannot seem to get with the program and has not been doing her reading or her reading log. Well tonight Tom decided to watch Rocky Horror Picture Show on tv. Well 1) that show is not appropriate for all the kids to watch and 2) he decided it was more important to watch that then to make sure the kids had their reading time. I swear sometime he is worse than the kids! So once again the teacher will call me to let me know how I fucked up by not making sure Allyson did her work because ONCE again Allyson did not do her homework this week. As though I really have control over that. I make her sit and she does NOTHING. I am NOT going to do her homework for her. I do not even know why I try. If she wants to fail then by all means fail but in the end it will not be my fault! I refuse to allow her failure and lack of trying to be my failure cause you know when it comes down to it the other 3 kids with homework are A students so if she lacks the effort then it is on her because I must be doing something right if MY 3 students are all A students don't you think?

Back to being the only adult, since when is Family Guy and American Dad ect acceptable shows for 5-10 year olds to watch?? UUUGGGHHHH! I wanna scream!

3 comments:

gr8fulmom22 said...

I am confused...aren't all the children in your house your children? You say MY three kids are A students but not the other one? I don't mean to be disrespectful at all, but in a blended household they all become "our" kids and we have to work with what we've got! I admire the fact that you have three straight A kids! You should be proud! However, we all have differently-abled kids and we can't hold that against them. They just learn differently! I, too have an ADD son and it is a struggle every night to get work done, but we grin and bear it! There are nights I just want to tear my hair out, too! We take frequent breaks, chunk up the work, I offer incentives along the way, any and all sorts of things that manage to get the job done! Good thing that the others are self starters and you can devote more time to the one who needs your help! Don't be afraid to enlist the help of your DH, too! Take turns with her each night or each takes a different night. Take a break for yourself as you give her one. Get some air...have a snack...and get back at it! Unfortunately, it is what it is and we, as parents, have to do what we can to help our kids along. Yes, kids need to be held accountable for their work, but some need more help than others and that's just a fact of life. We are blessed to be given the job of parenthood and sometimes, as hard as it is, we've got to suck it up sometimes! Keep hanging in there, girl!

Dani said...

Yea she is only considered not mine when she uses that to throw up in my face. You know the "You are not my mom" route.. or "My mom says I don't have to listen to you." That is where the my kids came into play but as much as she does not like It she is stuck with me!

gr8fulmom22 said...

I can understand that...classic "you are not my mom" stuff! I guess this where you could enlist "Dad" since he is her dad and she does live in your (the two of you) house! Does he step in and help her with her homework? (That is when he is home.)Might be good for the two of them to have some one on one time. Just a suggestion...